In many different industries there are jobs that are undertaken in cold environments, which can lead to frostbite, hypothermia, and even death. This course includes information on types of cold stress, symptoms, treatment, and controls and strategies for managing cold stress. This course has been designed to help you meet all regulatory and government requirements including the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Code.
This is a one-hour online course.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Identify the elements of cold stress
- Recognize the hazards and health risks associated with work in cold environments
- Understand wind chill factors and how cold stress may be measured in the workplace
- List the symptoms and treatment for different types of cold stress
- Identify human, medical, and job risk factors associated with cold stress management
- Describe the body’s common reactions to cold stress
- Understand simple strategies for controlling exposure to cold stress
- List the exposure limits for work in cold environments