If you are working in the North American wilderness, there is a possibility that you may encounter a bear. Seeing a bear in the wild can be exciting, but bears can be very dangerous if you do not know how to react. This course will help you learn about bears and how best to respect them in their natural habitat. This will help to ensure your safety as you work in bear country. This course has been designed to help you meet regulatory and government requirements.
This is a one-hour online course.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Distinguish between black bears and grizzly bears
- Explain the feeding habits of bears
- Explain how you can tell if there is a bear in the area
- Describe what you should do if you encounter a bear
- List some ways to avoid an encounter with a bear
- List five principles of bear safety
- Identify black and grizzly bears based on physical appearance
- Describe the geographic area inhabited by black bears and grizzlies
- List signs that will help you identify when a bear is in the area
- List common items that will attract bears
- Describe things you should do if you encounter a bear
- List steps that can be taken to prevent an encounter with a bear